A Biblical Worldview Primer:
Part 3 – Jesus Christ: The Living Word: Christology 101
by Gerald R. Thompson
JESUS THE LIVING WORD
1. Jesus is the Word
– the Word was/is God. Jn. 1:1-4
– the Word became flesh. Jn 1:14,16-18 2. Who Jesus Is
– the Father has sent Him; and
– the scriptures bear witness of Him. Jn 5:36-39 3. When Jehovah Speaks
– Creation. Gen. 1
– To Hagar, Gen. 16:9-10 (as Angel of the Lord)
– To Abraham, Gen 22:11 (again as theophany) 4 Jesus Is Jehovah
– “I AM WHO I AM.” Ex 3:2-6,14.
– “Before Abraham was, I am.” Jn. 8:57-58.
THE WORD OF JUDGMENT – At the coming of the Lord, Jesus will descend from heaven with a shout. 1 Thes. 4:16. – And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will kill with the breath of his mouth and bring to nothing by the appearance of his coming. 2 Thes. 2:8. – And he shall strike the earth with the rod of his mouth, and with the breath of his lips he shall kill the wicked. Isa. 11:4.
IS JESUS DONE SPEAKING? – In these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, … the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world. Heb. 1:1-3a. – So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ. But I ask, have they not heard? Indeed they have, for “Their voice has gone out to all the earth, and their words to the ends of the world.” (Rom. 10:17-18, quoting Ps. 19:4).
– whose voice has gone out to all the earth? THE WORD OF CHRIST.
1. Jesus Will Speak in the Future
– For out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem. Mic. 4:1-2. 2. Verbal Gifts of the Spirit
– For to one is given the word of wisdom … and to another the word of knowledge … and to another prophecy (i.e., words), and to another … various kinds of tongues, and to another the interpretation of tongues (words and more words). 1 Co 12:7-11 NASB. 3. Gosh, where are all these words coming from?
– Notwithstanding “gifts of the Spirit,” who speaks for God? JESUS. 4. Is Prophecy Dead?
– Earnestly desire the spiritual gifts, especially that you may prophesy. … Now I want you all to speak in tongues, but even more to prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues … so that the church may be built up. 1 Cor. 14:1-5. 5. Why would Paul say this, if prophecy ended with Christ’s First Advent years earlier?
Does Personal Experience Count?
Just suppose a person has had prior experience with words of knowledge and/or wisdom among family members which:
– were absolutely never wrong over many years
– and the reality of which cannot be denied
Of what validity are they? Are they evidence of Jesus speaking? – Therefore, my beloved, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure. (Php 2:12-13).
The Seven “I AMs” in John 1. I AM the bread of life. (Jn. 6:48). 2. I AM the light of the world. (Jn. 8:12). 3. I AM the door. (Jn. 10:9). 4. I AM the good shepherd. (Jn. 10:11). 5. I AM the resurrection and the life. Jn. 11:25. 6. I AM the way, and the truth, and the life. (Jn. 14:6). 7. I AM the vine. (Jn. 15:5).
Jehovah for the Jews
1. Bread of life => Manna from heaven (Jn 6:48-51)
2. Light of the world => Israel a light to the nations (Isa 49:6)
3. Door of the sheepfold / Good shepherd of the sheep
– Jews are the sheep; David is the great shepherd (Ezek 34:23; 37:24; Mat. 15:24) 4. Resurrection => taught by Pharisees (Act 23:6-8) 5. Way, truth, life (Ps 86:11; 119:37, 105-107) 6. Vine => Israel was planted as a vine (Ps 80:8, 14)
JESUS IS THE ROCK
1. The rock at Horeb. Exo. 17:6. 2. The spiritual Rock was Christ. 1 Cor. 10:4. 3. Living waters flow from the Rock. Jn 4:14. 4. Living waters shall flow out from the Rock which will be in Jerusalem. Zech. 14:8. 5. Jesus is the cleft in the Rock and our refuge. Ex. 33:21-22; Ps. 61:2; Ps. 94:22 6. The Rock, his work is perfect, for all his ways are justice. Deut. 32:4. 7. The Rock of Salvation. Deut. 32:15,18; 1 Sam. 22:47. 8. Simon Peter replied, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” … And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church. (Mt 16:16, 18). THE ROCK IS ALWAYS CHRIST
A Stone of Stumbling and Rock of Offense 1. a stone of offense and a rock of stumbling to both houses of Israel. Isa. 8:14; Rom. 9:33. 2. “I am the one who has laid as a foundation in Zion, a stone, a tested stone, a precious cornerstone, of a sure foundation.” Isa. 28:16. 3. The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone. (Ps 118:22). 4. We ourselves like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house. (1 Pe 2:4-8).
The Stone & the Mountain
1. But the stone (cut out by no human hand) that struck the image became a great mountain and filled the whole earth. (Dan. 2:34-35).
2. The God of heaven will set up a kingdom that shall never be destroyed … It shall break in pieces all these kingdoms and bring them to an end, and it shall stand forever, just as you saw that a stone was cut from a mountain by no human hand, and that it broke in pieces the [entire statue]. (Dan. 2:44-45).
JESUS IS THE SON OF GOD – [DIVINITY]
1. “You are my Son; today I have begotten you.” (Ps 2:7).
2. The virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel. (Isa. 7:14).
3. For to us a child is born, to us a son is given. (Isa. 9:6).
4. And those in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.” (Mat. 14:33)
5. The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. (Mk. 1:1)
6. And I have seen and have borne witness that this is the Son of God. (Jn. 1:34)
7. Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God. (Jn. 20:31)
8. Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he in God. (1 Jn. 4:15).
9. “The words of the Son of God, who has eyes like a flame of fire, and whose feet are like burnished bronze.” (Rev. 2:18).
JESUS IS THE SON OF MAN – [HUMANITY]
1. What is man that you are mindful of him, and the son of man that you care for him? (Ps. 8:4)
2. There came one like a son of man, and he came to the Ancient of Days. (Dan. 7:13).
3. But that you may know the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins. (Mat. 9:6)
4. For the Son of Man is lord of the Sabbath. (Mat. 12:8)
5. Then will appear in heaven the sign of the Son of Man … coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. (Mat. 24:30)
6. The Son of Man must … be killed, and on the third day be raised. (Lk. 9:22)
7. No one has ascended into heaven except he who descended … the Son of Man. Jn. 3:13
8. Then I looked, and behold, a white cloud, and seated on the cloud one like a son of man, with a golden crown on his head, and a sharp sickle in his hand. (Rev. 14:14).
JESUS IS SON OF DAVID – [AUTHORITY]
1. Your offspring who shall come from your body … shall build a house for my name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever. (2 Sam. 7:12-14).
2. I will cause a righteous Branch to spring up for David, and he shall execute justice and righteousness in the land. (Jer. 33:15).
3. The book of the genealogy of Jesus Christ, the son of David, son of Abraham. (Mat. 1:1)
4. And all the people were amazed, and said, “Can this be the Son of David?” (Mat. 12:23)
5. And the crowds … were shouting, “Hosanna to the Son of David!” (Mat. 21:9)
6. “What do you think about the Christ? Whose son is he?” They said to him, “The son of David.” (Mat. 22:42).
7. And he cried out, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!” (Lk. 18:38)
8. “I, Jesus … I am the root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star.” (Rev. 22:16)
THE ONLY BEGOTTEN SON
1. The Lord said to me, “You are my Son; today I have begotten you.” (Ps 2:6-7).
2. “Begotten” => to bring forth
– Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness. (Ge 5:3-6).
– the son of Enos, the son of Seth, the son of Adam, the son of God. (Lk 3:38).
– the sons of God saw that the daughters of man were attractive. (Gen. 6:2). 3. I said, “You are gods, sons of the Most High, all of you; nevertheless, like men you shall die, and fall like any prince.” (Ps 82:6-7). 4. But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian, for in Christ Jesus you are all sons of God. (Gal. 3:25-26). 5. However, Jesus isn’t like other sons of God
– No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son [has] declared him. (Jn 1:14, 18).
– For God so loved the world, that he gave his only [begotten] Son. (Jn 3:16).
– For to which of the angels did God ever say, “You are my Son, today I have begotten you”? (Heb. 1:5). 6. Christ was appointed by him who said to him, “You are my Son, today I have begotten you.” (Heb. 5:5). 7. We believe in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all worlds. (Nicene Creed). 8. Begotten => not created or procreated (born), but what?
And we bring you the good news that what God promised to the fathers, this he has fulfilled to us their children by raising Jesus, as also it is written in the second Psalm, “You are my Son, today I have begotten you.” And as for the fact that he raised him from the dead, no more to return to corruption, he has spoken in this way, “I will give you the holy and sure blessings of David.” Therefore he says also in another psalm, “You will not let your Holy One see corruption.” (Acts 13:32-35). 9. In other words, what God Promised in Psalm 2 was fulfilled in the resurrection. And this is what makes Christ the “only begotten son of God.”
JESUS IS THE FIRSTFRUITS
1. Firstfruits => First born (best / strength)
– “Reuben, you are my firstborn, my might, and the firstfruits of my strength.” (Gen. 49:3).
– The Feast of Weeks, the firstfruits of wheat harvest. (Exo. 34:22)
– The firstborn in Egypt, the firstfruits of their strength in the tents of Ham. (Ps. 78:51). 2. He shall acknowledge the firstborn by giving him a double portion of all that he has, for he is the firstfruits of his strength. (Deut. 21:17) 3. Israel was holy to the Lord, the firstfruits of his harvest. (Jer. 2:3). 4. We who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. (Rom. 8:23). 5. God chose you as the firstfruits to be saved. (2 Thess. 2:13). 6. Of his own will he brought us forth by the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures. (Jam. 1:18) 7. [The 144,000 of Israel] have been redeemed from mankind as firstfruits for God and the Lamb. (Rev. 14:4). 8. Christ has been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. … But each in his own order: Christ the firstfruits, then at his coming those who belong to Christ. (1 Cor. 15:20, 23).
SO – the thing which made Jesus the firstfruits is also the thing that made Him the “only begotten son,” i.e., the resurrection. Except, WE get to share in the resurrection!
Intro: A Biblical Worldview Primer
Part 1: Creation Laws: The Laws of Nature: The Lex Non Scripta
Part 2: Human Conscience: Moral Awareness
Part 4A: Bible as Law: The Divine Covenants: The Revealed Law
Part 4B: Bible as Government: Four Great Commands: God’s Laws of Authority
Part 5: A Biblical Worldview: Putting It All Together